Continuing on from my surviving Winter in the south, I’ve being using a few products to avoid that dry winter skin that comes with it.
A few items that I have been using over the last few weeks have really kept my hands, lips and skin feeling hydrated and far from the snake-skin look! The bonus is that all the products used are extremely affordable and easily obtained from supermarkets or your local chemist!
- Nivea Soft – Refreshingly Soft Moisturising Cream. This cream lives in the top drawer in my desk at work! I have a few different hand creams, in my hand bag and at home, but this one I keep at work. We forget how air-conditioning is another contributing factor to dry skin and just as its cold outside, the harsh elements of fake air and heating inside stuffy offices can take their effect on our skin. The Jojoba Oil benefits surprised me and the way the cream absorbed in the skin is just what my hands needed. An inexpensive hand treatment that is perfect for all skin types.
- Lucas Paw Paw Ointment – the mother of all mothers in ointment. Australian made and my go to remedy! Used for everything and anything under the sun (or winter sun). This ointment has become a necessity and a permanent fixture in my handbag. Not only is it amazing for the lips and those extremely dry areas such as the always forgotten elbows, but it doubles up as an ointment for burns, scratches and insect bites! Perfect all year round and priced really well! As you only need a small amount of the ointment, the tube could last you all year round; winter dryness, summer burns and instant natural repellents! It’s a beauty disaster not to own a tube.
- Burt’s Bees – Beeswax Lip Balm. This beauty has been around forever and a day! I got my one when I subscribed to one of those ‘beauty boxes’ and I’m so glad I got this, its perfect 100% natural ingredients! Long lasting and moisturises and softens the lips, helps prevent the dry cracks on your lips (eew)! Isn’t that why we buy these products? My only hint, don’t put it on just as you’re about to walk out the door! The peppermint flavour give its a cooling tingling affect, add that with the cold wind and you’ll be cursing yourself! Apply it, wait a while, then exit the doors!
- Aveeno Body Stress Relief Body Wash – I’m so in love with the Aveeno products. I’ve been using Aveeno for a few years now and they fail to disappoint! I was more excited when over the years they expanded their products and included body washes! This has been one of my favourite so far! So in love with this, apart from moisturising elements of Aveeno’s signature ingredient of Oatmeal, it combines the relaxing extracts of Lavender, Chamomile and ylang-ylang oil, leaving the skin clean and soft and you relaxed! Bonus feature its great for sensitive skin!
- Nivea In-Shower Body Lotion- Skin Conditioner – One word! Genius! I dread having to get out of the shower on winter days as it is! Having to then moisturise and wait for it to dry before I put my clothes on! Ohh I’m shivering at the thought! You can all thank Nivea, who must have had the same thought pattern we do! Basically, it’s an in the shower moisturiser! After you’ve had your normal body wash, apply the conditioner on your skin, your skin will absorb the lotion, then rinse off excess! Your skin, will feel soft and nourished. Hop out of the shower, dry yourself, clothes on, DONE! It also comes in Cocao and Honey scented options.
- Aveeno Daily Body Moisturiser – If you still feel that your skin is not getting enough moisture from the body wash and in shower moisturiser (I would recommend using less hot water! as much as you think it’s doing you good, it’s actually contributing to drying your skin) however, there are some that still find their skin is still dry after a shower, I would then recommend Aveeno Daily Body Moisture. Your skin is already sensitive from the hot shower, so use a lotion that is light and specialises in sensitive skin! The cream absorbs quickly and doesn’t leave your skin feeling greasy. Or alternatively you can use this in the morning before you head out. It’s a great light moisturiser that will keep your skin nourished and soft all day.
Have you tried any of the items above? What winter survival products are you using to avoid this dry cold winter?